At MD, commitment to Food Safety is of paramount importance. As such, we are certified against the British Retail Consortium (BRC) Global Standard for Food Safety at Grade AA level.
Our reputation is based on the excellence of the products and services we provide, and as such we continually assess our partners and suppliers. We closely monitor everything we supply with a strong emphasis on product safety, freshness, appearance and longevity.
We ensure all our suppliers are certified against relevant accreditations such as GlobalGAP in order to obtain Approved Supplier status. Regular supplier audits ensure compliance with a number of fundamental prerequisites for supply:
- Products comply with all applicable UK and EU legislation/regulations.
- All raw materials are traceable back to their primary source.
- All water and land used for crop production is deemed fit for use.
- Segregation controls are in place and adhered to where a risk of allergen contamination may occur.
- All produce supplied is grown in accordance with Good Agricultural Practice (GAP).
- Detailed pre and post-harvest pesticide records are available for review and validated against Proposed Pesticide Usage Forms (PPUF). Regular residue testing against Maximum Residue Levels (MRL) must also be undertaken.
- With respect to Worker Welfare, suppliers must adhere to the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) Base Code.
All staff receive comprehensive in-house training, which covers food safety, personal hygiene and quality control. The method used for controlling food safety in our operations is guided by Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) analysis. Examples of some of the regular food safety checks we perform include:
- Inspecting our supplier’s delivery vehicles, ensuring a high level of cleanliness is maintained.
- Monitoring the temperature of products on intake, during storage, and on delivery to our clients.
- Ensuring the regular sanitization of all food contact areas.
The company actively monitors issues relating to food safety and legality, and in this regard we are also members of various organisations who provide on-going regulatory updates from the UK and EU.